Lon
October 27, 1945 - March 31, 2016
A couple days ago I was reminded by Facebook of a post from three years ago - shortly after Lon had been diagnosed and he started his cancer treatment. I included the following picture of us surrounded by the joined hands (traced on paper & filled with words of love from individuals in our church.)
Lon & Janet
August 2013
We were so blessed by God with the support of friends, family health care professionals, and amazing health through the 2 1/2 years of treatment. If you look back over the posts on here during that time, you can see there were many, many ups - and a few downs along the way. All the while we felt God's presence in our lives.
Something Lon told me when he first started the treatment was that he was awakened one night hearing a voice - and this isn't something he took lightly, since we trust God to speak to us through His Word, the Bible, and through His indwelling Spirit - not an audible voice, though we don't deny that God can do that when He chooses. Lon said that voice said, "I'm calling you home." He took that as an indication that God was telling him personally that he needed to be ready to meet his Creator and Savior - and he acknowledged he was. However, Lon loved this life and all that there was to enjoy of God's creation here, causing him not to just relax and give up; he took the difficult treatment to stay here with his family and complete whatever work God had for him to do.
This morning I was reminded once more from God's Word - and comforted by the truth of John 11:25-26 when Jesus was speaking to Lazarus's sister, "Jesus said to her: I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" Lon believed this with all his heart - he had no doubt that the life in this body was not the end. I am comforted by that truth - knowing those of us who are believing in the finished work of Christ on the cross for us and in His resurrection from the dead - "will not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16b
It has been five months since Lon entered God's glorious presence, and he is missed dearly by so many. Thank you so much, all of you who prayed, offered help, sent cards, made the effort to come to the service celebrating his life - and so much more!! I recently noticed that I was remiss in posting anything on the blog at the time, but Brad made available a YouTube video* of the slide show Gail put together for the occasion. So many people came to honor Lon's life and support our family - what a special blessing to remember!
I am doing well and hope to post some of my activities on here eventually - lots of support and love from friends and family.
*If you care to watch the slide show, it can be found by searching "Lon Posenjak Memorial" on YouTube. (I don't know how to do a clever link for that without asking a child!!)

No comments:
Post a Comment